Chewy Popped Lotus Bars with Honey + Almonds by Lentine Alexis
Writing these blog posts is always a delight for me. It is a chance to connect more deeply with you all and of course, tell you a little bit more about what is going on in the Atlas Provisions test kitchen (i.e. my home). I am especially excited to be able to share this recipe with you for Chewy Popped Lotus Bars with Honey + Almonds because it is created by one of my all-time favorite chefs, adventurers and go getters: Lentine Alexis.
For those of you who don’t know Lentine already, rush on over to her website and prepare to be blown away. Lentine is a real food chef, writer, chef and outdoorslady. She cooks, bikes, hikes, runs and wanders through a life built of epic adventures. I had the opportunity to meet Lentine in a previous life, when we both worked guiding biking and hiking trips for an active travel company. Today Lentine combines her experiences as a former guide, professional triathlete, classically trained chef, journalist and yoga instructor (!!!) to create recipes, foods and experiences across the world.
To say I have a #girlcrush on Lentine would be the understatement of the year. I am constantly in awe of this woman. How she lives and travels, what she creates and how she gets after it. Naturally I was more than thrilled when she agreed to come up with some fun recipes to fuel your adventures…even if those adventures are more homebound than typical.
Give these Chewy Popped Lotus Bars with Honey + Almonds a try. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Let them fuel your adventure and your stoke. If you need more of both those things, keep on following Lentine.
Chewy Popped Lotus Bars w/Honey + Almonds
- 4 tbspn butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups favorite cereal We love Cheerios + puffed rice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups Atlas Provisions Popped Lotus Seeds We recommend 1 cup of Chocolate Sea Salt and 1 cup of Maple Caramel
- 1/2 cup whole almonds chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut chips
- 1/4 cup hempseeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter a 13x9 or 8x8 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cereal, popped lotus seeds almonds, hemp seeds, coconut chips, coconut shreds, and sea salt to incorporate.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and honey and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1-1.5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the almond butter and vanilla extract, stirring until smooth.
- Pour the honey almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and, working quickly, use a spatula to mix until evenly combined so that there aren’t any dry patches of cereal, or any large lumps or patches of honey caramel. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, using lightly greased hands to press the mixture firmly into the pan evenly to set.
- Allow to cool for up to 1 hour before slicing into equal pieces. Enjoy! And store remaining bars in an airtight container for up to 1 week.